According to the latest National Rail Passenger Survey, 67% of rail commuters do not believe their journey is good value for money and most are unhappy with how delays are handled.
The UK-wide survey, to which almost 28,000 rail travellers responded, showed overall satisfaction fell 2% to 81% over the course of 2017. The figure was higher (89%) among those travelling for leisure and only 73% among commuters.
Strike-hit Southern Railways surprised no-one by registering the lowest overall satisfaction score – just 72%. Grand Central emerged on top of the pile with a score of 96% for overall satisfaction, with the remaining 4 per cent saying they were neither satisfied nor dissatisfied.
On value for money, Grand Central again came in first with a score 74%, though this was down 5% from spring 2017. Meanwhile, South Western (36%), Southeastern (36%) and Southern (38%) prop up the league.
Jacqueline Starr, Director of Customer Experience at The Rail Delivery Group, responded to the survey by saying:
“Four out of five journeys were rated satisfactory or good by our customers but we know there is much more to do, which is why rail companies are working together with a long-term plan to change and improve. Our plan commits us to increasing satisfaction through the introduction of 7,000 new carriages enabling an extra 6,400 services a week by 2021, better connecting communities and boosting local economies across the country.”
How can MSB help?
MSB has a long track record of partnering transport sector organisations, from international airlines to train-operating companies, to help them improve their customer experience. To learn more about our work, please see our transport sector case studies here.